History

 

History of the Most Royal Prince Hall Grand Court, Order of Cyrene

The order of Cyrene is composed of members of the Temp Sir {Knights Templar} their wives, widows, mothers, sisters and daughters. John Elezy, Sr., John Elzey Jr., and Isaac L.W. Holland, who were members of the United Grand Commandery, Knights Templar of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, first established the Order of Cyrene in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1884. They adopted the giving name “The Order of Cyrene, Auxiliary to the Knights Templar”, after Simon gain after a nap but you The Cyrenian, who helped our Savior Jesus Christ, bear his Cross up to Calvary.

In that year the first Cyrene Court was established in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Between 1884 and 1904 two other Courts were established in Philadelphia and a governing body for then Cyrenes, known as the Supreme Grand Court of America was subsequently organized. In 1904 the United Grand Commandery of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania accepted the Order of Cyrene as the Auxiliary. In 1878, Ivanhoe Commandery No.5 was warranted as a subordinate Commandery of the
Prince Hall Grand Commandery, Knights Templar of the Jurisdiction of New York.

In 1881 at 114 West 54th street in New York City, the wives, widow, mothers, sisters and daughters of the Ivanhoe Commandery organized Helping Hand Auxiliary to assist in the members of the Commandery. Sister Nanny Jones was elected its Presiding Officer and Sir Knights James McCadden its Chief Advisor. The members of Helping Hand Auxiliary soon affiliated with the Order of Cyrene, Auxiliary to the Knights Templar in Pennsylvania. In 1914, the Supreme Grand Court of
America established the members of Helping Hand Auxiliary as Helping Hand Royal Court in Manhattan. This was the first Courts in the State of New York.

Between 1914 and 1918, the Grand Court of Pennsylvania established two other Cyrene Courts in the State of New York. They were Nazarene Royal Court in Brooklyn and Bethany Court in Manhattan. On Oct. 31, 1918, the three Cyrene Courts in New York surrendered their warrants and with the assistance of the Supreme Grand Court of America, with the Most Royal Grand Commandress, Elizabeth Banks and Most Royal Grand Chief Engineer, John W. Elezy presiding and assisted by Grand Secretary A.E. Robinson constituted and established the Most Royal Prince Hall Grand Court, Order of Cyrene for the State of New York Royal Lady Betty DeToscano was selected as the first Most Royal Grand Chief engineer and Royal Eva A. Green was selected as the first Right Royal Grand Secretary.

On May 31, 1948, the Prince Hall Grand Commandery, Knights Templar for the Jurisdiction of New York. Most Eminent Clarence A Miller, Grand Commander at the time presiding, officially adopted the Most Royal Prince Hall Grand Court Order of Cyrene for the State of New York as its Auxiliary.  In 1995, the 77th year of the existence of the Most Royal Prince Hall Grand Court Order of Cyrene of the State of New York, under the administration of Most Royal Grand Commandress Bobbie O’Garro and Most Royal Grand Chief Engineer, Sir Percy Purdue the three Cyrene Courts in the State of Connecticut, who at the time were under the jurisdiction of the most Royal Prince Hall Grand Court Order of Cyrene of the State of New York, Miriam Royal Court in Bridgeport, Connecticut, Faith Royal Court in New Haven Connecticut, and Mary Magdelene Royal Court in Hartford, Connecticut, surrendered their warrants and requested to be established as a Grand Court Order of Cyrene for the State of Connecticut.  With the permission of the Most Eminent Prince Hall Grand Commandery, Knights Templar of the State of New York, Most Eminent, Sir Ludwick Hall at the time presiding as the Most Eminent Grand Commander, permission was granted.  Most Royal Grand Chief Engineer Sir Percy Purdue and the Most Royal Grand Commandress and the Officer and Members of the Grant Court assisted in establishing the Most Royal Prince Hall Grand Court Order of Cyrene for the State of Connecticut.  Royal Lady Anne M. Bolden was elected as its first Most Royal Grand Commandress and Sir William Randolph its first Most Royal Grand Cheif Engineer.

Contributed by:

Sir Ludwick Hall
Past Most Eminent Grand Commander
of the Most Eminent Prince Hall Grand Commandery,
Knights Templar, of the State of New York

Appendant & Concordant Bodies

Appendant Bodies

Eureka Grand Chapter, Prince Hall Order Eastern Star State Of New York Official Site – www.oesegcny.org Grand Worthy Matron, Mary L. Boyd-Foy Grand Worthy Patron, Jesse Powell Most Ancient Grand Court Heroines Of Jericho Most Ancient Grand Matron, Evelyn Hubbard Most Worthy Grand Joshua, Calvin Hubbard Eminent J. Avery Grand Court Ladies Of The Circle Of Perfection Royal Grand Perfect Matron, Karen Thompson Royal Grand Chief Advisor, Zephaniah M. Ben-Elohim Most Royal Prince Hall Grand Court, Order Of Cyrenes Most Royal Grand Commandress, Angella Y. Clarke Most Royal Grand Chief Engineer, Russell E. Duckett New York Grand Assembly, Order Of The Golden Circle State Grand Loyal Lady Ruler, Wilma Johnson

Concordant Bodies

Most Excellent Prince Hall Grand Chapter Holy Royal Arch Masons State Of New York And Jurisdictions Most Excellent Grand High Priest, Jimmie Chaple  Prince Hall Grand Council Royal and Select Masters State Of New York And Jurisdictions Thrice Illustrious Grand Master, Charles H. Parker Most Eminent Prince Hall Grand Commandery Knights Templar State Of New York Most Eminent Grand Commander, Joseph M. Fields, Sr. United Supreme Council Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite PHA Northern Jurisdiction, USA Sovereign Grand Commander, SGIG Basil Sand 33° NYS Council of Deliberation Illustrious Deputy Of The Orient Of New York,
SGIG Grady Edge 33° Ancient Egyptian Arabic Order Nobles Mystic Shrine Desert Of New York And Canada HPIP Philip F. Howard – Imperial Deputy of the Desert Dt. Barbara Outlaw Barmore – Imperial Deputy for the Desert

X